Tuesday, September 25, 2012

It's Been Awhile

My wife asked me if I had abandoned the blog and it is a valid question and prompted my wondering the same thing, but no I haven't.  I got distracted.  A lot of things have been happening and I have been expressing myself in other ways.  It's time to get back to this way.

Harry Reid said today that Mitt Romney had "sullied" his Morman faith.  This is the same Democratic Senate Majority leader who announced from the floor of the Senate (because he has legal protection there) that Mitt Romney had not paid taxes in 10 years.  Democratic. Senate. Majority. Leader.  Let that sink in.  It says all I need to know about that tribe.

I saw the blown call last night.  Unions and strikes.  I ran to town earlier and listened to El Rushbo riffing on the the referee strike and he was laughing at the Sports Writers and Journalists.  Sports writers and journalists, like most journalists, are liberal and pro-union generally.  They don't like it when it effects them though.  They all send their kids to private schools, like most elite liberals, so they are big teacher's union supporters.  They believe there should be equal opportunity among fire fighters, among policeman...in the military.  Every profession should look like a cross-section of America.  Merit is irrelevant - except with NFL referrees.  I care.

On Saturday I started running in the woods of Nesbit Park in Bartlett, Tennessee with a target goal of 40 miles, a safety of 50k, and a reach of 50 miles.  At mile 24, I still felt pretty good.  I was hurting, particularly in my left calf, but it was manageable.  In the next few miles I was still definitely intending on going beyond the 31.1 mile option and doing the 40.  The way I felt, I had pretty much abandoned any thought of 50 miles by then.  When I reached the aid station, about 4.5 miles into the 7.5 mile loop, I had slowed about a minute a mile from when I ran that section on the prior three loops.  That didn't alarm me too much but when I started back running from the aid station I could hardly lift my left leg.  Ironically, my right leg with the ankle in a hard brace, felt fine (sprained in a cross country race 9 days before).  I knew I had slowed even more on the back part of the loop but when I came out of the woods and did the calculations, it was even worse than I thought.  At the Bartlett Ultras, you have the choice of running the 50k, 40 mile, or 50 mile race and you can make those decisions in the race.  You have to pick one when you register but you choose with the awareness that you can change your mind.  The smart people register for the 50k and then go on if they feel like it.  I registered for the 40 miler even though I knew I could stop at 50k.   I felt a little failure for opting out.  If I was going to DNF for 40 miles I would have gone on but I chose to live to fight another day, or more likely to fight  a sooner day.  I've taken three days off and will start back running tomorrow.  I'm in extreme retooling mode; the kind where I cut all my hair off, recommit to Yoga,  etc.

We've been visiting Broadmoor Baptist Church in Madison.  Over the years I have become less tolerant of watered down Christianity and suspected that my soul could only be filled by getting back to the real stuff.  It's kind of like when I was drinking.  I might mess around and drink a couple of six packs of beer to get things started but sooner or later, I have to get some whiskey.  I need to get a hold of something that will get down there and get the job done.  I'm ready to get the job done religiously.  I could elaborate on many things that I consider "watered down" but I will make this one statement for now.  Any Church that is preaching that abortion on demand is acceptable now that the United States has declared it legal with a seriously flawed 5-4 Supreme Court  decision, is a Church that I can not respect and will not attend.  And let me say that in my youth and a little beyond, I was involved in several abortions and deserve no mercy for my part in those decisions. I put some people in untenable positions and I take responsibility for doing that.  But a person can change, a person can grow up and accept responsibility and I have done that.  I won't allow my personal shame on that issue to cower me before anyone or any entity - political, religious, social, or otherwise.

So...as I was saying.  Broadmoor Baptist Church.  I felt the Holy Spirit there the first time I visited and every time since.  I've been to several churches over the last few years and never felt it.  If you know what I mean then you know what I mean.  Shelly and the children like it too and we will continue to explore if that is to be our new church home.



No comments:

Post a Comment