Saturday, November 19, 2011

Random Thoughts

I finally got around to reading North Toward Home by Willie Morris.  I am not quite finished but he has made it to New York, the final section of the book.  Morris had an incredible intellect and talent.  I am struck by the similarity in writing and worldview between Morris and Hunter S. Thompson.  Morris is understated and Thompson overstated, but they are very similar at the core.  I think that surely they must have crossed paths.  

I love hanging out at the coffee shop on game days.  Today is particularly entertaining with the LSU fans in town and the ideal weather.  My perception is aided by my taking of a Mucinex-D which effects me to the point where I might as well be tripping on Windowpane Acid.

We saw Tower Heist last night and I haven't seen a movie I disliked more in a long time.  Eddie Murphy practically reprised his role of Billy Ray Valentine from Trading Places.  What a waste of talent that film is.  The audience was as bad as the movie and I felt the vibes when we entered the theatre. There was a threesome sitting to the left front of us.  The man got into it with the middle woman half way through the film and he left and came back several times, talking loudly and making vague threats.  They had huge buckets of popcorn and heavy coats and I knew they were going to be trouble.  Behind us was a young philosopher who commented to his girlfriend all through the movie and periodically bumped his foot into the back of my chair. I managed to restrain myself but it took a toll.  The people to the right front of us reeked of cigarette smoke and Shelly had to use her inhaler before we even got out of the previews.   It was a terrible audience, the worse one I have suffered through in a long time and I expect the whole experience took 10-15 days off my life. 

We are going to visit a Sunday School class tomorrow.  This will be the first time I have ever visited a Sunday School as one-half of a couple.  I am looking for religious; I'm sick of spiritual.

I was just speaking to a man from the coffee shop, another regular.  Kind of an odd ball like me.  We were talking about what we are reading etc. and as he started listing off the publications that he reads regularly I literally saw the horns sprouting up out of his head.   Intelligence is not a virtue; it took me a long time to realize that.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not nearly as smart as I thought I was,  that I am genetically less-than-average physically, and that I am sorely lacking in emotional maturity.  Not only am I inferior intellectually, physically, and emotionally but I am also poorly educated and a classic underachiever.  Fortunately, I have an elaborate and battle-tested denial mechanism that is second to no one's and this enables me to live in a virtual fantasy world where none of that is relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment